Evelyn Marshall began her career of service on her 20th birthday, when she was sworn into the U.S. Naval Reserves as a Navy Wave in World War II. While assigned to the Navy Department in Washington, DC, Evelyn met Frank Marshall, and they were married in 1945. They were truly an inseparable team.
In 1951, Frank learned to fly, launching the Marshalls into a lifelong commitment to aviation.
In 1959, they formed Airport Management, Inc., and assumed management of the Manassas Airport.
Five years later, they were vital to efforts to ‘save’ the previous Manassas Airport, which ultimately led to the establishment/relocation of the airport to its current location.
The Marshalls then turned their attention to the development of an airport in nearby Fauquier County. Under the auspices of Marshall Aviation, Inc., they obtained a lease on 167 acres of land, cleared the land and installed a 3,000 foot sod airstrip, which ultimately became the Warrenton-Fauquier Airport. They then turned their energies to development and growth of the Winchester Airport, as well as the establishment and operation of airports in West Virginia and Maryland. In 1966, they returned to Manassas, taking the airport out of receivership, opening a Piper aircraft dealership, and putting the airport on a sound financial footing. After Frank’s death, Evelyn has continued her interest and support of general aviation in Virginia, and has been both supporter and activist.
She has served on the Board of Directors of the Virginia Aviation Trades Association. She also has been a long-standing member of the Flying Circus Airshows in Bealeton, Virginia, and a lifetime member of the Virginia Aeronautical Historical Society. All-in-all, Evelyn has served Virginia aviation for more than 58 years. Frank Marshall was inducted into the Virginia Hall of Fame in 2003. His solo induction did not adequately recognize the extraordinary contributions that Frank and Evelyn made together to aviation in the Commonwealth.
42total visits,1visits today